I have found in my use of CF disks the easiest thing to do is syslinux
-s the CF disk and then blow apart the image and copy the lrps,kernel,
and boot config files directly on it.  This works wonderfully.  Boot
times are around 5 seconds.  backing up packages is really fast.  Only
problem I have right now is no write blocking without physical access to
the box and opening it up.