Off the top of my head, you need to be running the data gathering
program.  There is a script version and a compiled C program.  You could
use either one.  It communicates with the Java applet over a port, I
think its 1023 or 1024.  You'll need to allow that through the firewall
as well.  Might be time to RTFM.
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/devel/hejl/

Sean