At 07:41 AM 11/25/2003 -0500, John Mullan wrote:
Can anyone give me hints about what to look for?

My DSL modem (apparently) loses sync when I try to access an external web
site.  After it syncs back up, and I try again, I lose sync again.  Ping
works the same way except if I try to ping an IP rather than URL.

Can you describe in a bit more detail what actual symptoms lie behind "(apparently) loses sync" and "it syncs back up"? Are you actually seeing the DSL modem's sync light (or whatever it is called on your device) go off, then back on? And, just to be sure, the problem is associated with *any* attempt at off-LAN DNS resolution (not just port-80 URLs), right?

George's response is correct as far as it goes -- problems with a DSL modem's connectivity to your ISP are OSI layer-2, or possibly layer-1, problems, and (putting aside the possibility of some bizarre interaction deliberately introduced by your ISP, mentioned only because I don't put *anything* beyond sufficiently stupid ISPs) layer-3 (IP) and layer-4 (TCP, UDP) activities should not affect layer 2 (or 1).

If your evidence for loss of sync is more indirect than what I write above, please provide additional details on the symptoms and on how you have DNS set up.

If it is not more indirect, follow George's advice in the first instance. (Except focus on port 53, not port 80, if the problem occurs with pings by FQN as well as URLs).

You might still want to tell us the rest of the details of your DNS setup and what sort of DSL service you have (that is, how you get your IP address ... it is PPPoE, for example). I can (just barely) imagine that your ISP is doing something silly to discourage its captives (pardon me, its "customers") from bypassing its DNS forwarders.

Now this would seem to me to be a DNS problem.  But can this be with my
internal DNS or ISP's DNS ???  Could it be either?

HISTORY:  This is my home/personal network.  I have Bering/Shorewall and it
has been working up until yesterday.  I have not made any changes in the
last couple of days.  I have a Win2K server (192.168.1.128) inside and it
is the primary DNS of the internal network.  Bering box (192.168.1.254) is
secondary DNS (DNSCache).  IE; Win2K will forward unresolved addresses to
it (obvious!?!).

Ideas please......

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by: SF.net Giveback Program. Does SourceForge.net help you be more productive? Does it help you create better code? SHARE THE LOVE, and help us help YOU! Click Here: http://sourceforge.net/donate/ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ leaf-user mailing list: [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/leaf-user SR FAQ: http://leaf-project.org/pub/doc/docmanager/docid_1891.html