I'm curious how to get pppd to auto redial when my connection dies. I searched the archives and I found this informative message: http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg06709.html

which references this howto:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/PPP-HOWTO.html#AEN582

Nobody seems to have responded to his request on how to integrate pppd into
inittab. I was curious if the ppp howto solution is a good way to reestablish lost connections, or if there is a better way, or perhaps I've missed a setting?

If the ppp howto solution is a good idea, what sort of alterations to the ppp and pppoe configuration must occur so that the pppd can be executed from inittab? I'm thinking modify the /etc/ppp/options file so that it has '-detach', and then I can add to the inittab next to the getty spawns 'pd:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/pppd call dsl-provider eth0'. I doubt that would work since I've tried running '/usr/sbin/pppd call dsl-provider eth0' from the command line after I've lost connection, and it did not reinitiate the connection.

If details will help with this, here's some of my setup information:
I'm running Bering-uClibc 2.0 with the default ppp and pppoe packages. I've configured the following files:

/etc/network/interfaces
# Step 1: PPP/PPPOE (modem connected to eth0)
auto ppp0
iface ppp0 inet ppp
       pre-up ip link set eth0 up
       provider dsl-provider eth0

/etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider pty "pppoe -I eth0 -T 80 -m 1452"

--
Raymond Page