> At 09:02 11.12.2003 +0100, you wrote:
> > > I'm curious how to get pppd to auto redial when my connection
> > > dies.
> >
> ><snipalot>
> >
> >Just respawning the pppd is not sufficient, I had times when pppd ran and
> >the ppp0 interface was visible but did not have an IP address.
> IMHO the pppd
> >should be changed that so it never quits, doesn't run twice on the same
> >interface and retries constantly.
>
> Any chance running pppd from init, letting it respawn if it goes away?

Like in the part you quoted, pppd sometimes runs but doesn't get it up (the
connection), so init would not see a reason to respawn. If you decide to
restart pppd manually, you have to make sure to kill it first (whence the
kill in the script).

If you used respawn you still needed a watchdog that kills useless pppd
processes so respawn can do its job. And could you use pon?

I'm staying with my script for the time being :-)

Regards
Alex