Lynn,

See below....

>>I believe as Ray has mentioned that the major issue may be  a
>>reverse
>>lookup that qmail is doing which causes the timeout error on the
>>mail
>>client. I am still looking into what dns settings I need to change
>>to fix
>>that possibility.
>
>I was assuming that all the qmail doc I've worked with have noted
>that
>a working DNS server is required for use with private addressing on
>a LAN.
>You need to setup tinydns (not dnscache), bind, or a similar
>nameserver to serve the proper DNS lookups for your LAN. A further
>note, since you are using this domain on both the LAN and the DMZ,
>both segments will need to use this nameserver as Ray (IIRC) noted
>earlier.

I think DNS is working to a point, let me clarify a bit.
I have both tinydns and dnscache running on the firewall machine and nowhere else.
I am not using this domain on the lan and dmz. The lan is defined as kroffts.home and
is on 192.168.1
The dmz is kroffts.com and is on 192.168.10 with http and mail DNATed from the
internet or at least that is my intent :-)
As I see it now I have two problems (at least) One is the excessive amount of time
needed for qmail to respond to a pop3 request from the lan. I tested with a different
mail client and found that it is in fact functional in both pop3 and smtp operations.
It it just very slow. I did not time it but it takes 1 to 2 minutes for mail to be
retrieved or sent. The time appears to be spent in authentication. The actual mail
transfer is normal.

The second issue is one of qmail not recognizing my users. I have created user
accounts with entries in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow and made a group entry in
/etc/group. I used makemaildir to create mail directories for each user. I can log
into these accounts locally or through ssh. I can use the logins to access pop3
through telnet. But when I send mail to these users, I get a returned message from
qmail saying: Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.1.1) Aside from the group
number the only difference I can see is that the lrpqmail user has a home directory
entry where I have set the others to use /server/home as /server is the mount point
for the ide disk that will store the mail. Since the login scripts seem to work and
send the users to the proper home directory on logging in, I think qmail should
recognize the Maildir's as well. I wanted to mount the /server/home as /home to reduce
confusion. It seemed to me that I had used a command similar to
mount /server/home /home before but it is not a valid command since mount seems to
need a device identifier. I have read the man pages  and still thing this relocation
is possible but I need more research.

Thanks again for whatever input you can offer,

Kory