Michael,

I set up the /etc/tinydns-private/root/data file per your suggestion,

=localhost:127.0.0.1
   .localhost:127.0.0.1:a
   .1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa:127.0.0.1:a
   .kroffts.home:127.0.0.1:a
   .1.168.192.in-addr.arpa:127.0.0.1:a

   =markii.kroffts.home:192.168.1.254

   =coventry.kroffts.home:192.168.1.1

It seems like I really need to have some entry for the dmz host to aid the reverse
lookup that we saw qmail try to accomplish. Configuring it this way has not improved
the situation. The pop3 client still times out.
Additionally I revised all the references to kroffts.com to read kroffts.dmz on both
the router and on the dmz host. I now find I have a few questions. I understand your
comments about using the kroffts.com for the dmz net but now that I have begun
reconfiguring I wonder how qmail will take a message addressed to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
and know to put it in the kkrofft user directory on kroffts.dmz. Mail.kroffts.com
seemed more intuitive.
I edited the qmail configs like so
me
 kroffts.dmz

rcpcthosts
 kroffts.dmz
 kroffts.com

defaultdomain
kroffts.dmz
locals
kroffts.dmz

pop3d run file

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \
/usr/bin/tcpserver -v -R 0 pop-3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup \
 kroffts.dmz /usr/bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d \
  Maildir 2>&1

Kory