From: Erich Titl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2003 9:03 AM
To: Craig Caughlin
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] Setting time/date clarification

Craig

At 08:35 29.12.2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi folks,
>I'm trying to set up Bering-uClibc 2.0.1 to have the most accurate
>time/date functionality, and it "seems" from the docs that to do so is
>using the ntpdate.lrp package (which requires the libm.lrp package).

I suggest ntpdate to set the time and ntpsimpl to keep the time

>1.) Would using these packages be the most accurate timekeeping method
>for Bering?

Well a few well maintained cesium atomic clocks might do better ;-)

see http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/clocks.html

>I have included both packages, placed an NTP server entry in the
>ntp-servers file, and placed the following entries in my Shorewall
>"zones" file per Bering documentation:
>
>ACCEPT fw net udp ntp (if you want to query an external NTP server)
>ACCEPT loc fw udp ntp (if you want to query your Bering box time
>server)
>
>When I issue the date command, Bering shows:    Mon Dec 29 16:28:21 UTC
>2003
>
>2.) After reading the Bering documentation, I'm confused on how to
>adjust this for my time zone (I'm in Sacramento, California)

Setting local time offset is done differently in Bering and
Bering-uClibc

see

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/doc/guide/buci-tz.html

>3.) Once adjusted, will Bering automatically adjust for Daylight
>Savings Time?

see above

HTH
Erich

THINK
Püntenstrasse 39
8143 Stallikon
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP Fingerprint: BC9A 25BC 3954 3BC8 C024 8D8A B7D4 FF9D 05B8 0A16