At 12:34 PM 12/29/2003 -0800, Michael Rogers wrote:
I know this is probably simple and trivial, but I
can't get it to work for the life of me...

I use Dachstein-1.0.2 as a firewall for my windows
machines behind my t-1.  The only thing they do is
browse the internet and I ssh to my external servers,
play some games at times.. normal stuff.  There are no
servers behind the firewall that need to be opened to
the outside world.

My problem is I got a ps/2, with Socom-II and a
Mic/Headset, got the ps2 online behind the firewall
with no problems (I use static IP's for all my
machines).  But I can't get the mic/headset to work
online... it works in single player mode and online at
my cousins house behind a linksys router, so I know
the mic/headset is good.

I've tried numerous times/diffirent options to opening
up these ports for/to my ps/2 & mic to work but with
no luck.  Reading up, I believe the ports I need to
open are:  tcp-10070 through 10080 and udp 6000-6999
and udp 10070.

Can anyone help me out with a simple way to open these
up for my ps/2...  my config IP's:
Dachstein system: 192.168.1.254
PS/2:  192.168.1.199

It would be easier to help if you provided the standard disgnostics for your system (see the SR FAQ). Without them, I'll offer a guess -- firewalls of the vintage of Dach often blocked access to remote ports around 6000, due to a well-known security hole involving remote X Window connections. My *guess* is that the version of Dach you are using -- or the drop-in firewall, if you are using EchoWall or Seawall -- includes that limitation, and that's what is biting you. If so, there is some entry in /etc/network.conf, or a related file -- or the config file for the drop-in firewall -- that puts a DENY rule for these ports into one of the chains (proably OUTPUT).

Also, the phrase "open up" is meaningless in this context. Do you merely mean that the firewall has to ACCEPT traffic to and from these ports, or that it has to port-forward it to a specific IP address, or that it needs some sort of special helper module (like ftp does), or what? Did your cousin need to do anything special with the Linksys, for example ... that would give a good hint of what the Dach firewall needs to be told.