> I'm just getting started with Leaf Bering.
>
> I've built a new 2.4.20 kernel using the woody environment and have
> iptables built statically and all is well as far as that goes.

There are newer 2.4 kernels around

> Freeswan is a  it of a mystery though. I'm using super-freeswan-1.99.6.2.

Compiling FreeS/WAN for Bering is nontrivial, because the Bering userland
libc is so ancient and the kernel and userland compile environment is
different.

I see several possibilities:

- use the Bering package. It is compiled from super-FreeS/WAN. We use it for
certificate authentication

- The userland stuff of freeswan cannot be compiled separately
  ("make programs"), but needs patches for the potato environment. These
patches should be available from Jacques or Eric, somebody did build the
ipsec.lrp

- The userland stuff can also be compiled statically. Go to the pluto
directory and add "-static" to the LDFLAGS = line in the Makefile (about
line 90 in mine) and then call "make programs"

- I think I at one time I used the userland binaries that I compiled in a
SuSE environment and they worked (Don't know why, though..)

HTH
Alex