(Bering 1.0 glibc / shorewall 1.4)

Dear List,

Problem: FTP uploads work with windows but not linux.

( I already tried CLAMPMSS set to YES or NO) It is set
to YES here, otherwise I get those typical clampmss-errors
which have often been reported.
I have that problem *since I am using bering* and tried
nearly anything to solve that...
)

I got problems doing FTP uploads to my provider. Downloads
are OK, always.
Symptom: FTP authentication works, Uploads can be started,
but it hangs after sending the first 8134 bytes....
I /think/ I did not change the defaults in Bering 1.0
concerning FTP. I even "restored" my very first running
"Bering-dd-image",: same effect.

Bering 1.0 stable, no ftpserver or client installed
on that box. It just routes ftp-connections from my LAN
to the net.(FTP-connects are not initiated by bering)

What I checked so far is:
tried different linux-client-programs -> all of them fail.
tried different linux-workstations    -> all of them fail
tried different $Windows workstations -> no errors

Logfiles (messages/syslog) are logging nothing, no
errors or warnings do occur.

hm.
After long time reading this list, I found out
module IP_NAT_FTP is the bad guy.
When I unload it (rmmod IP_NAT_FTP) all uploads
are doing fine. When I reload that module, the error
occurs again.

What if I _permanently disable_ IP_NAT_FTP ? Do I get less security ?
For what it is good for ? To me it seems, I could leave it without
problems ?

Teastep ? ;-) Any ideas ?

Thanks a lot !!