I had bridgeing working with shorewall 1.?? and Bering-uClibc (something)
about a year ago, when I was too stingy to buy a switch. (P90 + 2 ISA NE2000
compatible cards for the lan plus a dialup modem to the internet)

I ended up just replacing ppp0 in all the shorewall  config files with br0
and it worked like a charm. I needed a couple of other entries to allow my 2
PC's to transfer data to each other when the modem link was down.