I’m paying for a second IP with my Comcast account. Now, from their
point-of-view I should have my two Windows machines hooked up through a
straight hub into the back of the cable modem. From my point of view they
are out of their mind, plus I can’t set up an internal fileserver to share
between my two machines… a file server I explicitly do not want to share
with the world. And a test machine or two, or eight, none with ‘world’
access.

I want my personal machine and that of my fiancé to be presented to Comcast
through different interfaces. I have a physical eth2 if I find I can’t alias
eth0 to be the 2nd interface as well because of MAC identity, though I plan
to attempt it after I have eth2 working as I expect. Comcast will observe
her traffic and mine just as they would expect through the different
interfaces, so they can’t complain about me NAT’ing in violation of their
AUP. Any outbound not explicitly from those two machines will be in the
REJECT chain.

So much for my goal… but I do not grasp how to get there.

1) What is the best way to have our XP machines identify themselves to the
firewall?
2) How do I tell Shorewall to keep things straight?

I plan to have the firewall cache DHCP and do Squid filtering of the web.
Blacklisting should apply to both. If I had a wish, Squid would pick which
outbound interface based upon which machine made the request. Same for DHCP.
Alas, one can’t have everything, but insight as to how to think of an
approach would be most welcome.

Thank you for your assistance.

--Romaq

William (Andy) Smith