It was pointed out to me (thank you sir!) that using OpenSSH and leaving
root without a password solves the problem, presuming there are no user
accounts. This is, in fact, my situation. The best solution to a problem is
a problem that turns out not to need solving at all. :)

If I have no non-root logins, and if I set up OpenSSH for no password
authentication/ key auth only... what are the liabilities of doing without a
password on root? I would presume if some exploit could crack the firewall
to gain access, a root password wouldn't make any difference. Is that a
false presumption?

--Romaq