At 10:57 AM 4/15/2004 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Your ISP's theoretical 768 Kilo bps compared to your NIC's theoretical 10
Mega bps.

Me thinks your 10Mb NIC is not guilty.

Do you run your DSL modem as a modem only, or does it do DHCP, DNS and
firewall as well?

Gus
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 15-04-2004 00:10:31:

> pn] I'm still running E2B on a P166.  I have 768K
> SDSL, and my leaf box is connected to the DSL modem
> via a 10Mbps NIC.  The best speed I can download from
> anywhere is in the 70something KB/sec (as reported on
> a Windows box on the internal network).  I "think" I
> should be able to do faster downloads, but am not sure
> where I'm getting bottlenecked.

Based on the numbers you report, there is no "bottleneck" that needs an explanation ... or at worst a very small one. "70something KB/sec" (big B = bytes, the way clients usually report transfer speed) translates to something between 560 and 640 Kbps (small b = bits, the measure uses for DSL speed). That discrepancy is too small to need explaining, when you remember that there is also packet overhead and such to allow for (my rule of thumb is to allow 10% of capacity for this).

If there is any residual problem to be explained, you will need more exact numbers to detect it.