From: Charles Steinkuehler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 7:41 AM
To: Kevin
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] IPSEC help needed....

Kevin wrote:
SNIP

Actually, I think you need a rule set and a module loaded.

I'm going to work under the assumption that you need to masquerade an
IPSec connection (ie: you're running an ipsec client on an internal
system, rather than trying to run ipsec on the firewall itself).

To do this, you first need to make sure you're using the proper kernel.
Masqerading ipsec and running ipsec on the firewall are mutually
exclusive, and require different kernels.  The 'plain' kernels avaialble
from my site support ipsec masquerading, while kernels with -IPSec in
the name support running ipsec directly on the firewall.  Which kernel
flavor you want depends on your system, but you probably want either the
'small' or 'normal' kernel:

http://lrp2.steinkuehler.net/files/kernels/Dachstein-small/
http://lrp2.steinkuehler.net/files/kernels/Dachstein-normal/

The floppy version ships with the small kernel w/o ipsec by default.

Once you have an approprate kernel (or have verified you're running the
linux-2.2.19-3-LEAF-small.zImage.upx kernel by filesize), you need to
copy the ip_masq_ipsec.o masquerading 'helper' module to  your modules
directory and add it to /etc/modules.

The last thing you need to do is allow the actual IPSec traffic through
your firewall.  This typically involves UDP port 500, and *PROTOCOL* 50
or 51, depending on whether you're running ESP or AH.  To do this, add
the following in /etc/network.conf

EXTERN_UDP_PORTS="0/0_500"
EXTERN_PORTS="50_0/0 51_0/0"

--