Hi everyone.  I am hoping there is some simple thing I have overlooked
here that you can help me with.  Info on my setup is included.  Let me
know if there is something important missing.

I am trying to setup a pptpd VPN on my Bering uCLIB firewall.  I have it
to the stage where I can connect from my internal network on a WindowsXP
machine and get to the internet but I can't connect externally from work
on a Win2000 machine.  If I telnet to my router on port 1723 from work
it connects briefly which seems indicate neither my work network or my
home ISP is blocking port 1723??  Does that sound right?  I have been
told that my ISP doesn't block protocol 47 (GRE) but I'm not absolutely
sure about my work network, although I can connect from home via pptp
VPN to work, which seems to indicate GRE is not blocked.

On a separate note, ULOG seems to log connections on port 1723 sometimes
and not on others.  Any ideas on why that might be so??

I am totally lost on this (which is not specially hard to do) and any
assistance/thoughts would be gratefully received!

Thanks.

Shorewall rules:

#PPTPd
ACCEPT:ULOG             net       fw            47
ACCEPT          fw        net           47
ACCEPT:ULOG             net       fw            tcp     1723
ACCEPT:ULOG             fw        net           tcp     1723

ACCEPT:ULOG             loc       fw            47
ACCEPT          fw        loc           47
ACCEPT:ULOG             loc       fw            tcp     1723
ACCEPT:ULOG             fw        loc           tcp     1723

Shorewall Interfaces

######
#ZONE   INTERFACE       BROADCAST       OPTIONS
net     eth0            detect          dhcp,routefilter,norfc1918
loc     eth1            detect
loc     ppp+            -
dmz     eth2            detect

Shorewall Tunnels
# TYPE                  ZONE    GATEWAY         GATEWAY
pptpserver              net     0.0.0.0/0

Modules

# Modules needed for PPTP connection
slhc
ppp_generic
ppp_async
ppp_mppe

pptpd.conf is pretty much as the sample.  I have uncommented the debug
option and used:

localip 192.168.1.254
remoteip 192.168.1.200

pptpd-options
## turn pppd syslog debugging on
debug

## change 'servername' to whatever you specify as your server name in
chap-secrets
name vpn
## change the domainname to your local domain
domain private.network

## these are reasonable defaults for WinXXXX clients
## for the security related settings
auth
require-mschap
require-mschap-v2
require-mppe-128

## Fill in your addresses
ms-dns 10.0.0.1
ms-wins 10.0.0.1

## Fill in your netmask
netmask 255.255.255.0

## some defaults
nodefaultroute
proxyarp
lock

I don't know anything about the wins side of things but I thought that
these settings would work as a basic setup?

And I haven't changed any of the ppp settings.  I have thought about
changing them because they refer to modems and dialing etc, although I
am on cable.  But I haven't seen any good instructions on what to modify
them to, and anyway the thing works fine from a local workstation.

David Pitts
IT Services Manager
Reid Library
University of Western Australia

Telephone:   (08) 6488 3492     Fax:  (08) 6488 1012