Hi,

Thanks for the quick response, Charles!  Here are some answers to your good
questions.

1) Is the ipsec service running on startup?  Yes.  The ipsec service seems
to be running on startup, which is what I want it to do.  If I try starting
the service without stopping it, ipsec complains that it is already running.
If I shut down the service and restart it, I get the pluto errors in the
logs again.

2) Try simpler authentication method?  Well, I was trying to be simple and
use a pre-shared key ("jwalters" on both ends), but maybe I'm not
configuring it properly if it complaining about certs.  When I was following
the excellent Bering installation guide IPSec section, it mentioned that the
certificate creation could be skipped if only pre-shared keys were being
used.  When I skipped the cert creation, there were errors in the auth.log
file complaining about the certificate directories being empty, so I figured
that adding certificates might help.  Perhaps my problem is trying to do
without the certificates when I really need them.

3) Using RSA keys without certificates?  I'm not sure that I fully
understand the whole certificate scenario, so I was trying to avoid that
altogether.  Perhaps that's not possible with Bering-uClibc.  I'd be happy
to use a standard Bering version, if that would make things easier.  I'll
try taking one of my older Bering router images and adding the appropriate
lrp files.  I do remember trying that route early on in the process and not
being able to find the mawk.lrp or libm.lrp file that I thought I needed and
abandoning the attempt.  I think that is worth investigating, if you have
gotten that working in a similar application.  I'll try that next.

Also, I am wondering how wise my choice was to try ipsec on a LEAF image
before I had ever configured a full server with ipsec.  All of my prior
experiences with LRP and LEAF were enhanced when I tried getting it working
with a full server (with all of the associated debug tools that are
referenced in the various howto files and man pages).  Perhaps a couple of
hours making some test servers would help me understand some of the
ipsec.conf nuances that might be confounding me.  I think I'll try that
after I try my configuration with a standard Bering distribution.

Thanks for the pointers, and I'll reply to the list with more information
when I have some.

Thanks,

Jim Walters