Jim Walters wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response, Charles!  Here are some answers to your good
questions.

1) Is the ipsec service running on startup?  Yes.  The ipsec service seems
to be running on startup, which is what I want it to do.  If I try starting
the service without stopping it, ipsec complains that it is already running.
If I shut down the service and restart it, I get the pluto errors in the
logs again.

I thought as much, but it never hurts to ask the obvious questions!

2) Try simpler authentication method?  Well, I was trying to be simple and
use a pre-shared key ("jwalters" on both ends), but maybe I'm not
configuring it properly if it complaining about certs.  When I was following
the excellent Bering installation guide IPSec section, it mentioned that the
certificate creation could be skipped if only pre-shared keys were being
used.  When I skipped the cert creation, there were errors in the auth.log
file complaining about the certificate directories being empty, so I figured
that adding certificates might help.  Perhaps my problem is trying to do
without the certificates when I really need them.

Now that you mention it, I see the PSK in your ipsec.secrets file that you're trying to use. I was thrown by the existance of the RSA key, which I suggest you delete if you're not using.

3) Using RSA keys without certificates?  I'm not sure that I fully
understand the whole certificate scenario, so I was trying to avoid that
altogether.  Perhaps that's not possible with Bering-uClibc.  I'd be happy
to use a standard Bering version, if that would make things easier.  I'll
try taking one of my older Bering router images and adding the appropriate
lrp files.  I do remember trying that route early on in the process and not
being able to find the mawk.lrp or libm.lrp file that I thought I needed and
abandoning the attempt.  I think that is worth investigating, if you have
gotten that working in a similar application.  I'll try that next.

You can get mawk from my Dachstein ipsec page: http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/Packages/ipsec1.91.htm

You might also find my (undocumneted) Bering-CD image helpful. I haven't had time to put together real documentation, so right now it's just an iso image and the CD-contents dumped on my website:

http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/files/diskimages/Bering-CD/

This is basically Bering 1.2 modified to be a lot more like Dachstein-CD than the Bering CD creation method listed in the Bering user's guide.

I have all LRP packages you need to run IPSec, and I can verify they work together (my IPSec VPN between a Bering-CD and Dachstein-CD router works fine).

If you decide to use the Bering-CD image (and not just raid packages from it :), troll the leaf-devel archives for documentation on the new linuxrc functionality (and the new LEAF.CFG file), or look through the new scripts (esp. the readme and changelog files), which can be found here:

http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/files/kernels/misc-stuff/linuxrc-2004-05-05.tgz

--
Charles Steinkuehler