Via BEEP.LRP my Bering 1.2 box makes lovely, helpful sounds (hint, hint :) when the link goes up & down. This happens from within scripts /etc/ppp/ip_up & /etc/ppp/ip-down so AFAICT you should be able to get notification via these scripts.

I don't have an ip_ip.d nor an ip_down.d ... I am using the stock PPP.LRP & PPPOE.LRP packages ... so maybe you're talking apples and I'm eating oranges? My DSL modem is configured to be a pass-thru bridge, so all the PPP/PPPOE brains lie within my LEAF box.

One possible way that you can check for the up/down status is to see if your defaultroute has disappeared, something like (pseudocode):
if ( ip route | grep "default" ) = "" then
link is down...
else
link is up...
endif

scott; canada

Erich Titl wrote:

Hi everybody

I am playing with ppp/pppoe and VPN connections on Bering boxes. The nature of VPN
requires the ipsec connections to be restarted when the IP address on the gateway
changes, Having little experience with pppoe and no inclination to invent the wheel
once more I'd like to ask for a few pointers

- Is there a method which is invoked at IP change (comparable to dhcp hooks)
- Is there an easy way to detect a line down condition on the DLS end, e.g. does PPPD

I already tried to to set a few scripts in ip_up.d ip_down.d to now avail yet.

Thanks for hints
Erich

THINK Püntenstrasse 39 8143 Stallikon mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] PGP Fingerprint: BC9A 25BC 3954 3BC8 C024 8D8A B7D4 FF9D 05B8 0A16