Jon

At 17:23 13.07.2004 +0200, Jon Clausen wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Jul, 2004 at 16:16:48 +0200, Erich Titl wrote:
>> Jon
>
><snip>
>
>> >Next step is to get the 'Bering patches' applied.

>> >Indeed this looks nice. Sadly I don't fully understand what's going on :P
>>
>> If you have specific questions, shoot.
>
>Thanks, I will... though not quite yet - you already answered my first one:
>
>> >Am I correct in assuming that the whole idea is that you can build
>> >everything by just issuing 'make' in $CWD ?
>>
>> Theoretically speaking yes, I still do it in a few steps
>>
>> 'make patched'  _should_ produce a patched linux source directory
>> 'make image'  builds a compressed linux kernel
>> 'make modules'  well...... modules
>> 'make modules_install'   places the modules in a tree under $CWD/modules
>
>Right.
>
>I'm not very "at home" in Makefiles yet... But setting $EXTRAVERSION is a
>start i guess :)

Mhhh... I explicitly cut out the extraversion stuff to be fully Bering compliant (not
that it matters)

>> for the userland stuff see below
>>
>> >Should this work in debian_woody-UML? (I see references to slink...)
>>
>> You beat me there, I am a coward when it comes to UML.
>
>You should check it out though. It's served me quite well, and since it has
>all the right compiler/libraries/etc, even I can produce kernels that
>boot... I really wouldn't want mess with all that on the host-host.
>
>Pretty easy to set up, too... nudge, nudge... :)

I guess I should, but all references I saw were geared towards xterm, and I don't have
an xterm to my server.

>> I do all my compiles on my SuSE 8.2++ server, which does not really have a
>> console. So for compiling userland stuff I just chroot into Jacques' old
>> slink filesystem.

cheers
Erich

THINK
Püntenstrasse 39
8143 Stallikon
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP Fingerprint: BC9A 25BC 3954 3BC8 C024 8D8A B7D4 FF9D 05B8 0A16