On Tue, 13 Jul, 2004 at 18:02:50 +0200, Erich Titl wrote:

<snip>

> >I'm not very "at home" in Makefiles yet... But setting $EXTRAVERSION is a
> >start i guess :)
>
> Mhhh... I explicitly cut out the extraversion stuff to be fully Bering compliant
> (not that it matters)

Eh?

What's the rationale?

> >> for the userland stuff see below

> >> You beat me there, I am a coward when it comes to UML.
> >
> >You should check it out though. It's served me quite well, and since it has
> >all the right compiler/libraries/etc, even I can produce kernels that
> >boot... I really wouldn't want mess with all that on the host-host.
> >
> >Pretty easy to set up, too... nudge, nudge... :)
>
> I guess I should, but all references I saw were geared towards xterm, and I don't
> have an xterm to my server.

Right. I didn't realize this before. Out of curiosity I tried this from an
xterm on my laptop:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ssh -X [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ./linuxuml-2.4.18-45 etc...

Works a treat, open xterms on the laptop... This of course requires your
basic x-libraries to be on the remote. It also requires an x-server on the
'local' which, in case of Windows, I really wouldn't know how to do :P

This thread might be of interest, if you want to pursue the idea:
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2004-Jul/1913.html

AFAICT the general consensus is: Cygwin...

> >> I do all my compiles on my SuSE 8.2++ server, which does not really have a
> >> console. So for compiling userland stuff I just chroot into Jacques' old
> >> slink filesystem.

Well, "if it ain't broke..." :P

/Jon
--