Erich,

  I do not want to start a war between sshd + sftp versus dropbear :-))
  Each of them has their own merits and are fully useable.

The purpose of my initial answer was more to describe one (partial) approach
- tools + process steps - one can use to maintain his Bering box
from a Windows environment.

Basic tools required are essentially a mean to get secured interactive sessions
between Windows and Bering as well as a mean to get secured file transfers.
Having the choice between sshd+sftp or dropbear doesn't hurt.

In fact, to be honest, up to today (this morning), I was exclusively using SFTP
because having a FTP session opened to allow multiple transfers made me more
confortable. I was too lazy to look for a practical and easy-to-use
SCP implementation under Windows (opening a DOS window to issue
successive scp commands didn't make me confortable). This is the reason
I initially spoke about sshd+sftp.
This morning, after a feedback from KP, I decided to look further.
I found WinSCP3, tried it, switch my Bering box from sshd+sftp to dropbear
in a matter of minutes. And that worked well !

  So, the conclusion of this story, can be:

- select appropriate secured SSH tools for interactive session and file transfer
- then use your Bering box as its own maintenance tool from a Windows client

This is a lightweight solution in regards to installing Linux on a machine...

Regards,
Christian

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: YOU BE THE JUDGE. Be one of 170 Project Admins to receive an Apple iPod Mini FREE for your judgement on who ports your project to Linux PPC the best. Sponsored by IBM. Deadline: Sept. 24. Go here: http://sf.net/ppc_contest.php ------------------------------------------------------------------------ leaf-user mailing list: [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/leaf-user SR FAQ: http://leaf-project.org/pub/doc/docmanager/docid_1891.html