> The bottom line to all of the above is that I'm more stumped
> than ever and
> don't know what to do next. I suppose I'll try to replace the
> eth0 NIC in
> the DachBox2 to try to eliminate the double fault
> possibility. I actually
> tried to do that earlier today as well, but neither of the NICS worked
> after that. When I restored the NIC I'd removed, they worked again.

How are you doing the test with the Linux router?  Are you using a server
behind it?  Are you connecting the private interface at all?  Please make
sure the private end is disconnected and try again if it was connected.

If the private end was disconnected, run tcpdump on the public interface and
post the results here.  You can email me directly if the results are a file
too large to post on a mailing list.

> I don't know how to get the ISP to seriously consider the
> possibility that
> their connection could be at fault. They simply don't see any
> problem from their end.

That's not surprising.  It's hard enough to get most ISPs to do anything when
you can tell them exactly what's wrong.  If Apple is supported, call again
and open a new ticket.  Tell them you have tried two Macintoshes (make the
LEAF results Apple results).

> If possible, I'm more open than ever to any suggestion.

Can you post the results of ifconfig after some packet loss?  Also, if you
could post an ASCII map of your network that might tell us something.  IPs
are not necessary but it wouldn't hurt to double-check all these settings on
your own.  (This has bit me a few times with all sorts of strange results).

E.g.,

--------------
| DSL router | - IP x.y.z.a

|    LEAF    |

|xxxxxSWITCHxxxxx| - 16 port linksys (or whatever)

|  Clients   |