> Dale,
>
> If I am understanding correctly, you've confirmed:
>
> 1.  The Win98 box doesn't drop packets ever (ie. their equipment works)
> 2.  Your equipment works (connected the laptop to the DachBox via a
> crossover cable and dropped no
> packets from the laptop to the LEAF router or from the LEAF router to the
> laptop.)

That's all correct. Also, last night on Ray Olszewski's recommendation I
connected a 10/100BT switch between the DachBox and the Flowpoint DSL
router. Lazarus rose from the dead. I ran internet backups between the
file servers all night long without loing a single packet. In fact, an
fping from the Seattle file server to the Boise server _during_ the backup
did not drop a packet, although latency jumped to about 500 ms.

> This smells like an autonegotiation problem between their equipment and
> yours.  What NICs are in your machine?  After you try another NIC, I would
> give another type of NIC a shot.

The NICs are Linksys LNE100TX. I do intend to swap another NIC into the
DachBox today as an experiment, and I have a 3Com card I can try as well.
But I'm not sure what that would prove. If the LAN switch circuity in the
DSL router is failing in such a way as to cause this problem, and the
switch I cobbled in there is just compensating for that, putting in a
different NIC (with a stronger outgoing signal strength, if that is the
right concept) could just mask the problem. After all, the NIC in the
Win98 box worked just fine connected directly to the DSL router. Let's say
I cannibalized that NIC, put it in the DachBox, and it works just fine.
This problem has been deteriorating gradually for the last month. If it is
the DSL router LAN side that is in a death spiral, I could find that in a
week or two it has degraded to the point that even the stronger NIC can't
compensate any more.

I'm beginning to think that the only way I'll find out for sure is if in
replacing the DSL router, the problem goes away entirely. Or not.

Dale Mirenda