On Thu, 30 Sep, 2004 at 08:20:55 +0100, Livio Ravetto wrote:
> >http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=107867
>
> Hello Jon,
>
> The adapter is for the "duo" version of the memory stick, which is a lot
> smaller than the one you would use inyour digital camera.

Uhm, O.K. ...

I don't think that's the way to go, though...

I got a PM alerting me to the existence of write-protectable IDE flash
modules like this one (TS32MDOM40V) from Transcend:

http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?ItemID=TS32MDOM40V

Now, this is complete news to me (or maybe I'm just dense). AFAIR it's not
much more than six months ago the subject was last discussed on this list.
And I believe that the general concensus at the time was that there
basically wasn't anything available in this area... (?)

*Anyway* the above link lists the price at ~ $14, which is *way* cheaper
than memorystick+adaptor.

Only problem (for me anyway) is that the TS32MDOM40V won't fit in a Soekris
4501, which I think is going to be my next "standard" platform.

Anyone know if the write-protect "craze" has hit "regular" CF yet?

> Booting from USB could be a cheaper solution considering the high
> competition on these products. I can't quite say it is possible... A quick
> look on the docs shows none.
>
> Somebody out there might be able to tell if booting from a USB memory
> device is a possibility. <hint>

Oh booting from USB is definitely possible. I've used it several times. It
only depends on whether the computers BIOS supports it.

The thing is I don't much like to have 'stuff' hanging out of the box. And
in any case (no pun intended) even though the routers I've already deployed
*do* have USB, the soekris boxes don't.

So USB is not really that great an option, even if they have WP... (do
they?)

Cheers,
Jon
--