From: Martin Hejl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2004 1:27 PM
To: Tibbs, Richard
Subject: Re: [leaf-user] New openvpn problem (formerly up-script)

Hi Richard,

Tibbs, Richard wrote:

> Dear list.
> I tried the following command line
> /sbin/ip link set mtu 1500 dev tun0
>
> Problem is, there is no device tun0 even though daemon.log says
> Dec  4 21:55:38 firewall openvpn[9273]: MTU DYNAMIC mtu=1450, flags=2,
> 1576 -> 1450
> Dec  4 21:55:38 firewall openvpn[9273]: TUN/TAP device tun0 opened
> Dec  4 21:55:38 firewall openvpn[9273]: ip link set dev tun0 up mtu
1500
> Dec  4 21:55:39 firewall openvpn[9273]: ip addr add dev tun0 local
> 10.1.1.1 peer 10.1.1.2
> Dec  4 21:55:39 firewall openvpn[9273]: /etc/openvpn/openvpn.up tun0
> 1500 1576 10.1.1.1 10.1.1.2 init
> Dec  4 21:55:39 firewall openvpn[9273]: script failed: shell command
> exited with error status: 1
>
> Logged in as root, I tried typing
> ip link set dev tun0 up mtu 1500
>  and I get the message
> SIOCSIFMTU: Operation not supported by device.
> ( this happens no matter what mtu I type)
>
> The only command that does not give me some nastygram from IP is
> ip link set tun0
Ok, I'm going to assume you're still using Jaques' OpenVPN package, the
one that doesn't support iproute2 directly, and hence you're trying to
do what OpenVPN normally does automatically (bringing up the interface,
setting routes and so on) via the up-script

Try putting the following in your up-script (that's what I inferred from

the source of OpenVPN 1.6 - so, those would be the commands generated,
if you were using OpenVPN 1.6).

/sbin/ip link set dev $0 up mtu $2
/sbin/ip addr add dev $1 local $4 peer $5
/sbin/ip route add 192.168.1.3/32 via $4

After those have been executed, you should have a tun interface with an
assigned IP and a route pointing to the remote machine (I'm actually not

sure if "192.168.1.3/32" is correct - I _think_ that's how a host-route
was specified, but since I always connected two subnets with openvpn, I
never had to do that).

I hope that helps

Martin