Thanks for the info Peter.

Here are my choices so far:

Intel: Intel PRO/1000 MT Quad Port Server Adapter $337
Osicom: FE-2404-TX - 10/100BTX PCI FAST ENET NIC $329
Adaptec: ANA-64044LV 4-Port, 64-bit/66 MHz PCI NIC $409

Obsolete but available in obscure locations:

D-Link: DFE-570TX 4 port 21143 card (avail only on eBay) $80
Phobos: P430 4-port 10/100 NIC (kernelsoftware.com) $248

I'm thinking the Intel NIC would be best, but after looking at it on
intel.com I'm not sure it'll fit in a PCI slot. It looks like a PCI/X
card.

My next choice would be the Osicom card for price/performance, but I've
never heard of them before. They say it's based on the Intel 82559 and
list "Linux" as a supported OS so it should work.

Adaptec has had the quad NIC for quite a while, but I'm not sure if it
uses the tulip drivers that you warned against. Adaptec doesn't say what
chip set is used.

The two "obsolete" cards I found while searching. I hesitate to get
these because (1) I'm not sure if they're supported, and (2) they may
not be available when we need replacements.

Our firewall hardware platform uses a passive backplane chassis with
Cyber Research PIII-based single board computers. I can't find the SBC
documentation so I'm not sure if it'll handle 64-bit PCI transfers. Even
so, it shouldn't be worse than 4 single port NICs.

Which would you favor?

Thanks!

--Cal Webster