On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 12:24 -0400, Calvin Webster wrote:
> Eric & Arne:

Hi Calvin!

> I haven't begun using VDE yet. Once I get the VMs running I'll tackle
> that.

i use the following script to start 2 vde-switches (actually hubs)
and load the kqemu module...Of course you can use more switches if you
like, just add them like the others and don't forget to pass the control
socket as argument to qemu.

#! /bin/sh

if [ "$(id -u)" -ne 0 ] ; then
        echo "you need to be root"
        exit 1
fi

killall vde_switch

#start vde_switch
vde_switch -sock /tmp/vde0.ctl -hub -tap tap0 -daemon
chmod 777 /tmp/vde0.ctl
vde_switch -sock /tmp/vde1.ctl -hub -tap tap1 -daemon
chmod 777 /tmp/vde1.ctl

modprobe kqemu

the qemu instance can be started like this:
vdeq qemu -sock /tmp/vde0.ctl,/tmp/vde1.ctl -fda Bering-uClibc_2.2.2_img_bering-
uclibc-1680.bin
(should be one line...).

you can assign ip addresses on the host system to tap0/tap1/tapN via
ifconfig tap0 <address> , or just use tcpdump to see what is going on in your
virtual network (that's why i use the -hub option to be able to see it).

> Thanks for the help getting QEMU built. The CVS source is the key if you
> want to use the accelerator. Building it was more complicated than it
> needed to be, though, mostly because of the instructions on the QEMU web
> site. They assume you're using the CVS tree, but the download source
> doesn't match. The directions in the CVS tree assume too much also.

now that qemu 0.7 is out, things are a lot easier (no more cvs needed)..

> Anyway, I've spend the last few days trying to get a QEMU virtual IDE
> disk to boot. It's easy enough to create, but two glaring problems pop
> right up. 1) It cannot be mounted with fstype "msdos" as with the LEAF
> floppy images, and 2) It will not boot. It hangs at the initial startup
> with "Booting from Hard Disk" message. I've posted a query on the QEMU
> users forum, but no one is answering. I can't afford to spend more time
> on that right now so I'm proceeding with a 2-floppy setup in QEMU. You
> can view the article here:

i ran into the same problems, too while trying to create the disk with
linux. I have it running now, but had to use a (real) dos boot floppy to
get it work...I created an empty hd image (64M) which is already
syslinuxed, you can get it from:http://www.ucbering.de
you can mount it like: mount -o loop,offset=32256 leaf.img /mnt -t msdos
and copy the leaf files that you want (don't forget to use a initrd
capable of harddisks for it). Another option would be to use the
bering-uclibc iso image for booting as cdrom (and if not, use it for
getting the packages...).
Hope that helps,

                --arne

--