Eric,

This is really strange... I must have changed something else without
realizing it. Now I'm getting this, regardless of whether I'm using the
original or updated initrd.lrp:

ipsec_setup: Starting Openswan IPsec 1.0.9...
insmod: ipsec.o: no module by that name found
ipsec_setup: kernel appears to lack KLIPS
ipsec_setup: OOPS, should have aborted! Broken shell!

Where is ipsec.o? I haven't been able to locate it in modules.lrp or
ipsec.lrp.

The errors changed after I had started my qemu VM with redirection. I
tried swapping back the original initrd.lrp to no avail. Now, it comes
up like this with or without redirected ports, with the old initrd.lrp
or new.

It looks like the libm.lrp is loading. Here's the output of "lrpkg -l":
Name            Version        Description
===============-==============-==============================================
initrd          2.3 uClibc 0.9 LEAF Bering-uClibc initial filesystem
root            2.3 uClibc 0.9 Core LEAF Bering-uClibc package
config          0.5 Rev 1      Core config and backup system package
etc             2.3 uClibc 0.9 etc package
local           2.3 uClibc 0.9 LEAF Bering-uClibc local package
modules         2.4.29 Rev 1   Modules for the kernel
iptables        1.3.1 Rev 1    IP packet filter administration tools for
2.4.
keyboard        1.0 Rev 1      Define keyboard settings
libssl          0.9.7e Rev 1   libssl  - part of the Openssl libraries
mawk            1.3.3-9        Mawk is an interpreter for the AWK
Programming
libm            0.9.20         The libm library
lpthread        0.9.20 Rev 2   The libpthread library
openssl         0.9.7e Rev 1   Openssl binaries
ipsec           1.0.9 Rev 1    Openswan IPSEC
shorwall        2.0.17         Shoreline Firewall (Shorewall)
ulogd           1.22 Rev 1     The Netfilter Userspace Logging Daemon
dnsmasq         2.22 Rev 1     Dnsmasq is lightweight, easy to configure
DNS
dropbear        0.45 Rev 1     Dropbear SSH 2 server and scp client
mhttpd          1.19 Rev 2     Small HTTP server.
webconf         1.0.0 Rev 2    Web-based configuration for LEAF routers.

--Cal