On Sun, 2005-08-14 at 22:39 -0500, Jeremy A Tourville wrote:

Hi Jeremy,

> I am building a new Bering uClibc box. (2.2.3)  I have built about 5
> others using Bering 1.2.  While there are many similarities there are
> many things that are different as well.  One issue I am running into this
> time is disk/ram space.
>
> My leaf.cfg is set as so- syst_size=26M.
>                                         log_size=6M.
>
> I am using 32MB of memory with a 256 MB compact flash.

you mean your router has 32 MB of memory total ?

> When I issue the df command I get-
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used         Available         Use%
>       Mounted on
> /dev/ram0                 4049        3904              145
> 96%                 /
> /tmpfs                      11192          0                11192
>     0%                 /tmp
> /dev/hdc1               251624      1588            250036           1%
>               /mnt

i don't see /var/log mounted and the tmp tmpfs size looks a bit
strange... What does "free" say ?

> How should my cfg file be set?  Is system size = to total size of memory
> or do you add the two values to equal the memory size?
>

>  What if I use the
> tmp_size value?  Can someone give me a good explanation of the three
> parameters available and how they should be set?  Are there any rules of
> thumb for memory requirements?  I've read all the guides and looked
> through the archives and I'm just not sure on what I've read.

I depends on how much packages you want to install,
and how much memory you have in your machine. I have this settings:
syst_size=16M
log_size=8M
tmp_size=64M

i a machine with 128MB of memory. If you only have 32 MB of memory,
i would suggest setting it to something like:
syst_size=8M
log_size=4M
tmp_size=12M

set it at least to values that you still have some free memory when all
your ramdisk are filled up...

--arne

--
Arne Bernin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>