Tom Eastep wrote:
You could place a pause/check loop in /etc/shorewall/init. Or, better
yet, configure Shorewall so that it doesn't require ppp0 to be up when
it starts.

I'm not sure I can come up with the semantics to do that, but I'd love to give it a try...

Here's what I've got:

Zones:

net     Net             Internet
loc     Local           Local networks
dmz     DMZ             Demilitarized zone
dsl     DSL             DSL modem nat area
guest   Guest           Guest host network

Interfaces:

dsl     eth0            detect          dhcp,routefilter
net     ppp0            -
                tcpflags,blacklist,routefilter,norfc1918,nosmurfs,upnp
loc     eth1            detect          dhcp
dmz     eth2            detect          dhcp,routefilter
guest   ath0            detect          dhcp,routefilter

Masq:

(INT_QUEMADURA and EXT_QUEMADURA are internal and external IP addrs)
(ditto EXT_GUEST so guest network users are natted to a different routed
 IP addr in case they do something evil like send spam)

ppp0                    $INT_QUEMADURA  $EXT_QUEMADURA
ppp0                    eth1
ppp0                    ath0            $EXT_GUEST
eth0                    eth1

and rules (excerpted):

DNAT       net          loc:$INT_QUEMADURA   tcp 22  - $EXT_QUEMADURA

Now, I'm assuming it's the masq entries referencing ppp0 that are kicking my ass?

So this error, is caused by routefilter/ppp0 not existing (soft err):

Setting up Kernel Route Filtering...
   Warning: Cannot set route filtering on ppp0

and this error is caused by masq?

Adding IP Addresses...
Device "ppp0" does not exist.
Cannot find device "ppp0"

Do you suggest I do snating instead? if so, who adds the ip aliases to ppp0 and when? I have 5 static IP addresses that I use, so snat is a fine option (I use one IP for the fw/home nat, one for the bastion host,
and one for a separate guest network).