Thanks Tom and Eric
I don't know if it matters to me how long it takes to come up, so long as everything that is supposed to work works once it's up. When ppp0 is up its a router, until then it's lump of useless metal chewing power.
I have put the loop here:

#!/bin/sh
# IPsec startup and shutdown script
# Copyright (C) 1998, 1999, 2001  Henry Spencer.

/..SNIP

# misc setup
umask 022

while true; do
        ip link ls dev ppp0 > /dev/null 2>&1 && break
        echo "Waiting for ppp0 to come up..."
        sleep 5
done

# do it
case "$1" in
  start|--start|stop|--stop)

Is this alright? I won't get to test it until I can reboot on the weekend.