We have been running a leaf firewall for about 3 years or more. Most of
that time it has been a Bering 1.0 RCx of some kind (can't remember the
exact release).

We just upgraded to a new machine running Bering uClibc 2.3-rc1 from CF.
I built this image using primarily the uClibc ISO image as my basis.

It runs great with no issues other then the new VPN issue.

We have been connecting from PC's inside the firewall to a remote
location running Juniper networks NetScreen and until this week have had
no problems.

The problem is intermittent and can not be consistently reproduced, but
what is consistent is the lack of an issue when connecting from out side
the firewall or if you either reboot the firewall or do a "shorewall
clear" to flush things out.

We have spent days trying to figure out the issue and it does indeed
look like it is the firewall though we have no clear understanding of
the exact problem, or more importantly, the fix.

Does anyone have any pointers or ideas? Any known issues?

I have been searching the list archives but have not found anything
clear.

Thanks,

Richard Amerman
RBA International