Hi Roger and Ron,

> Here is where it is going wrong.
>         Then syslinux -s /dev/hda1.
>
> Don't syslinux the partition. You want to do this: syslinux -s /dev/hda.
I don't think so - at least, I've never done it that way (and it's
documented to use hdaX everywhere I checked). Since he installed the MBR
from syslinux, his approach should work.

>> booting works fine at the console. Once in I fdisk the CF card, create
>> a new DOS partition table, new primary partition for the whole disk,
>> set the partition type to FAT (6) and write out.
Ron - did you forget to make the partition you just created "bootable"
(using the "a" command)? That could explain the problems you're seeing.

I hope that helps

Martin