Tom Eastep wrote:

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 10:09, Jim Ford wrote:
Now I'm all snug and cosy behind my Leaf Bering firewall (thanks to the
helpful folk on this forum), I'd like to see just how secure it appears
from the outside. There are various sites, some of them commercial, that
give a free firewall security test. I've tried some of them and they give
varying results. I'm also aware that it's in the interest of the commercial
sites to say that my firewall is insecure - so they can sell me their
solution!

Any recommendations (or is it good enough for me to nmap from outside)?

You need to carefully evaluate all results -- see Shorewall FAQ 4 and it's related sub-FAQs. If you don't understand a particular report, I recommend running tcpdump on your firewall while doing the scan to verify that the probes are actually reaching your firewall and that they are not being responded to by an intermediate router.

-Tom
grc.com makes analyse but doesn't sell services.

-M