Hello Chera,

> Hello Eric,
>

> Thanks for you reply. After increasing the ip_conntrack_max value to
> 4096 I did find a curious entry in my messages log file
> :
> firewall kernel: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed (gfp=0x1d2/0)
>
> This happened twice about a day ago.

I don't know what this message means, maybe someone else on the list?
But a quick Google gave some notes about the system running out of virtual
memory, so tight memory may be the problem.
You can take a look with "top" to see which processes use a lot of virtual
memory.

> According to the bucu-conntrack guide the amount for memory used by 4096
> connections (with hash size equal to max conntrack) is 4096 x 308 = 1.2
> Mb.
>

> My LEAF box has 16 Mb RAM and cat /proc/meminfo gives:
>

> total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
> Mem:  14725120 11927552  2797568        0    40960  6443008
> Swap:        0        0        0
> MemTotal:        14380 kB
> MemFree:          2732 kB
> MemShared:           0 kB
> Buffers:            40 kB
> Cached:           6292 kB
> SwapCached:          0 kB
> Active:           5924 kB
> Inactive:         1700 kB
> HighTotal:           0 kB
> HighFree:            0 kB
> LowTotal:        14380 kB
> LowFree:          2732 kB
> SwapTotal:           0 kB
> SwapFree:            0 kB
>

> So there should be enough memory left for the conntrack table. Anyway
> the firewall is still up and running.
>
> I set the new max conntrack number using
>

> echo 4096 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max.
>
> How can I make this setting permanent? I have seen the option
> net.ipv4.netfilter.ip_conntrack_max in /etc/sysctl.conf but which package
> should I backup then?

You could indeed set it in /etc/sysctl.conf (lrcfg -> 2 -> 10), the file
is saved with the backup of the etc.lrp package.

> Regards
>

> Chera Bekker

Regards,
Eric