I've somehow managed to break Bittorrent downloads on my firewall. I had
it all working before, but now downloads have slowed to a crawl and I am
getting thousands of rejected packet messages in my log file that look
like this:

|Dec 8 05:37:59 creaky Shorewall:all2all:REJECT: IN=eth1 OUT=
MAC=00:40:f4:19:d7:a0:00:05:5d:d2:6d:e6:08:00 SRC=192.168.1.17
<http://192.168.1.17> DST=216.138.194.169 <http://216.138.194.169>
LEN=48 TOS=00 PREC=0x00 TTL=128 ID=46728 CE DF PROTO=TCP SPT=4488
DPT=18995 SEQ=2541448999 ACK=0 WINDOW=65535 SYN URGP=0

I'm also getting large numbers of ones like this:

|Dec 8 05:39:29 creaky Shorewall:net2all:DROP: IN=ppp0 OUT= MAC=
SRC=72.56.66.199 <http://72.56.66.199> DST=216.138.194.169
<http://216.138.194.169> LEN=76 TOS=00 PREC=0x00 TTL=53 ID=32055
PROTO=ICMP TYPE=3 CODE=1

Clearly I've misconfigured something, but I'm not sure what. Here's my
setup: I have LEAF running on an old 486 box (creaky) at 192.168.1.254
<http://192.168.1.254>, while my bittorrent client (bitcomet, if it
matters) is running at 192.168.1.17 <http://192.168.1.17> (binky). I
have a single static IP address (216.138.194.169
<http://216.138.194.169>), so I'm using DNAT in shorewall to forward
port 18995 (which bitcommet is configured to listen on) to binky. The
local network is on eth1, while my ADSL modem is connected to eth0.

I'm not sure what version of LEAF I am using (nor how to find out) but
its certainly not the latest. The version of Shorewall its using is
1.4.10c, which is rather old I know, but this setup did work once
before. I would be willing to upgrade if necessary, but I've been
reluctant to bring down the network long enough to do so (my wife has
her business on the local net.) Anyway, there is the added complication
that since I sometimes use binky for other p2p tasks, its in a nested
zone (locs) inside my main internal zone (loc). Here are the, I believe,
relevant snippets from my shorewall config files:

interfaces:
#ZONE    INTERFACE      BROADCAST       OPTIONS
mdm     eth0            192.168.7.255 <http://192.168.7.255>
net     ppp0            -               routefilter,norfc1918,blacklist
loc     eth1            192.168.1.255 <http://192.168.1.255>
routeback,newnotsyn
dmz     eth2            192.168.2.255 <http://192.168.2.255>
#LAST LINE -- ADD YOUR ENTRIES BEFORE THIS ONE -- DO NOT REMOVE

Zones:
#ZONE   DISPLAY         COMMENTS
mdm     Modem           ADSL Modem config interface
net     Net             Internet
locs    LocalServer     Internal File Sharing server (inside local zone)
loc     Local           Local networks
dmz     DMZ             Demilitarized zone

hosts:
#ZONE           HOST(S)                         OPTIONS
locs            eth1:192.168.1.17 <http://192.168.1.17>
routeback
mdm             ppp0:192.168.7.1 <http://192.168.7.1>
#LAST LINE -- ADD YOUR ENTRIES BEFORE THIS LINE -- DO NOT REMOVE

policy:
#SOURCE         DEST            POLICY          LOG             LIMIT:BURST
#                                               LEVEL
locs            loc             ACCEPT
loc             locs            ACCEPT
locs            all             CONTINUE
all             locs            CONTINUE

loc             net             ACCEPT
all             mdm             DROP            ULOG
mdm             all             DROP            ULOG
net             all             DROP            ULOG

all             all             REJECT          ULOG
#LAST LINE -- DO NOT REMOVE

rules:
DNAT            net     locs:192.168.1.17 <http://192.168.1.17>
tcp     bitcomet
DNAT            net     locs: 192.168.1.17 <http://192.168.1.17>
udp     bitcomet

So, there you have it. The only changes I've made recently (other than
endless fiddling trying to fix this problem before coming here), was to
add the mdm zone in an attempt to be able to reach the config interface
on my ADSL modem from the local network (its not working either. Any
insights on that would be appreciated as well.)

Any help at all in resolving this will be much appreciated.