Hello Jim,

I doubt this will be added. You can get the patch from here:

http://ftp.die.net/pub/linux-kernel-tarpit/

What I did to get this working (actually, compiled--haven't really
tested)...

Step 1:

Download linux-2.4.18-tarpit.patch to ./source/linux/.

Step 2:

Edit ./source/linux/buildtool.cfg and add this to the end:

<File linux-2.4.18-tarpit.patch>
         Server = cvs-sourceforge
         envname = TARPIT_PATCH
         directory = linux
         revision = HEAD
</File>

# note, I'm quite sure 'Server = cvs-sourceforge' is wrong, what is the
# correct thing to put there, anyone?

Step 3:

Edit the make file ./source/linux/buildtool.mk, add this (before cp
$(LINUX_CONFIG) linux/.config):

cat $(TARPIT_PATCH) | patch -d linux -p1

Step 4:

./buildtool.pl srcclean linux
./buildtool.pl source linux

Step 5:

Yikes! I forgot what to do at this point... I believe 'make menuconfig' to

enable TARPIT, or run:

./buildtool.pl build kernel

...then wait until the build pauses, then type:

m [enter]

You can check the status of the build by typing (on another session):

tail log/buildtool until you see something like:
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TARPIT=m ?

To the expirienced linux hackers: you are probably laughing at me right
now. I'm still learning, sorry.

-cpu

Jim Ford wrote:
> I see here:
> http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1723
> that there is a patch to IPtables, to add an option to tarpit a port
scanner. Are there any plans to add this option to the Bering uClibc? It's
been a while since I've built a kernel, but I guess if I did the homework
I could do it with uLibc (IIRC there's a doc somewhere). What do others
think?