Hi Thomas,

> When changing my internet connection to DSL, I will get an AVM Fritz Box SL
> from my Internet provider. It has a built-in firewall. Will it be useful to
> run in addition also shorwall on my Leaf router?
>
> What is your opinion?
I presume you need the AVM for DSL access (if I'm not mistaken, it has a
DSL modem built in) and possibly for other things too (like VOIP or so).
 Despite it being a bit of overkill, there's nothing wrong with having a
LEAF box between your Fritz box and the local net (I've done it that way
at my mother's place, where I got a DSL Modem/Firewall/VOIP Gateway from
the provider).
In the end, I don't trust AVM, Linksys or D-Link (or any other company
that makes boxes like that) to make something that's "safe". With a LEAF
box, if somebody breaks into the router the provider gave me, they still
have to get past the LEAF box to get to the local net. There's nothing
wrong with several layers of security, especially when talking about DSL
(the bandwidth is not high enough that the extra router in between might
matter all that much. If you want to do lots of online gaming, you might
want to keep the LEAF box out of the loop though, to avoid the extra hop).

The one thing you need to be aware of is that those AVM/D-Link/Linksys
boxes tend to use private IPs on their internal net (which would be
connected to the external interface of the LEAF box), so you need to
change the Shorewall config accordingly (if I remember correctly,
Shorewall doesn't like private addresses on what it considers to be the
external interface).

I hope that helps.

Martin