My class got over early so I have a little time to try to answer some of
your questions.

Bob Ramstad wrote:
> On 5/12/06, Tom Eastep <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> I am editing /etc/shorewall/tcrules to configure traffic shaping and
> from what I understand from the Bering documentation and Shorewall
> documentation, the implication is that I am using the built-in shaper.

Then please post the contents of your /etc/shorewall/tcdevices and
/etc/shorewall/tcclasses file. You have been talking about class 50 --
Shorewall's built-in traffic shaping can't generate a class 50 unless
you have 50 interfaces (in which case the major class will be 50).

> (I do have to load a number of kernel modules as well as the tc
> package and libm package loaded so that basic tc commands work, like
> "tc -s qdisc".  It appears that the built-in Shorewall shaper requires
> a working tc command.)
>
>> e) Example 6 at http://www.shorewall.net/traffic_shaping.htm is the pp2p
>> example -- the text explains what each rule does and why.
>>

> Right, but a lot of my confusion came about because of the ipp2p example in
>
> http://www.shorewall.net/IPP2P.html
>
> which has more rules and while apparently similar in behavior, is
> quite different in syntax, even though the two documents were
> apparently written on the same day.

With two documents bearing copyrights back to 2001, it is preposterous
to conclude that they were written the same day. They were *last
updated* on the same day.

> I guess we're now at the point where I *am* asking a question of
> Shorewall support LOL.
>
> How are those two examples different?  Is the sole point of the more
> complex example to show how to mark a connection with a particular
> value, and then mark the packets with different classes depending on
> the destination interface?

The example in the IPP2P document clearly states that it is a one-to-one
translation of Example 2 in the IPP2P documentation into Shorewall rules
(or what Example 2 was when I originally wrote the document in 2004).
The original set of rules used the CLASSIFY target -- hence, I couldn't
very well omit it from the translation.

Is the four rule version sufficient for
> traffic shaping when there is only one destination interface?

Yes. We'd be pretty dim to include a example on the "traffic shaping"
page that was inappropriate in a simple traffic shaping application.

> Is here any special reason why the four rule version RESTORE tests for
> zero, while the six rule version does not?

Yes -- I pointed out in my prior post that it was inappropriate to mark
packets then use RESTORE on those same packets. The "4-rule" example
actually has 6 rules and the test for zero is there so that if one of
the first two rules marks the packet, then the mark won't be overwritten
by RESTORE.

> Obviously because of this
> the behavior would be completely different depending on where these
> rules were included in an existing tcrules setup.  Similarly the four
> rule version uses !0 as the test for SAVE where the six rule version
> explicitly tests for 1.

Yes -- but both examples work in the context in which they are presented.

> I also now notice that with the comment fields above that these
> examples imply that they come first in tcrules (or that they are the
> complete set of rules).
>
> I guess what I'm driving at is that the two examples are quite subtle,
> and the differences now strike me as incredibly meaningful if the
> intent is to merge the example with an existing set of tcrules.

Yes -- writing packet marking rules is a very primitive form of
programming. And programmers must always be mindful of the surrounding
environment when they insert (or copy and paste) code.

> I understand that the examples are just that, examples, and that
> different people have different ways of doing things, and these look
> like they came from two different sources.  That said, I think it
> would be interesting to point out the assumptions and the differences
> between the two, and have found it quite confusing to have two
> examples, one each, in different files, with similar but important
> differences.

I'll pass on your observation to the webmaster...

-Tom
Shoreline,     \ http://shorewall.net
Washington USA  \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]