Jim Ford wrote:
> I've been using a floppy based Bering uLibC for some time now and am
> very impressed with it. To speed up booting I'd like to install it on a
> CF card and have pretty much followed the instructions in the docs, but
> can't get it to boot.
>
> The card is recognised by the bios and I've set the boot order to
> floppy, then ide. I've downloaded the ide  initrd.lrp and put it onto a
> spare Leaf floppy. I can boot from this floppy and the CF card is
> recognised and I can mount it on /mnt. The firewall runs fine from the
> floppy. I've copied the files from the floppy to the cf and updated the
> leaf.cfg and syslinux.cfg files to reflect  the package paths, and run
> syslinx.com (3.31) from a dos floppy to put the system on the cf.
>
> If I try to boot from the cf the system just hangs and doesn't get to
> the 'SYSLINUX.......'  line. I'd be grateful for any ideas, please!

I've also had some CF cards that are missing a valid Master Boot Record.
The hdsupp.lrp package has an MBR from syslinux, it can be copied to the
CF card with a dd. Assuming the cf card is /dev/hda:

dd if=/usr/bin/mbr.bin of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

Depending on the version of hdsupp.lrp, mbr.bin may be in /usr/sbin also.

Corey

--
Corey Betka