Hello Eric,

the two cards are indeed ISA-cards:

    3Com EtherLink III 3C509TP

I have rescued a handful old isa-cards from the junk
yard and I would like to put them to good use also
with Bering. Of course, these two cards will serve as
slower side interfaces on the intended access point.

On the present, revived machine, I have inserted
modules 8139too and 3c509 into /etc/modules and
the relevant message from dmesg is this

  eth2: 3c5x9 at 0x300, 10baseT port, address .... \
              IRQ 3
  3c509.c:1.19 16Oct2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

and no indication of a further card appart from two
instances of 8139too. The interesting thing is that
Freesco reports both with

   io=0x300, irq=3    and   io=0x300,  irq=10,

whereas grml after manual "modprobe 3c509" reports

   io=0x300, irq=3    and   io=0x220,  irq=5.

Freesco sets tag 1 and tag 2 on these cards, but
cannot
configure more than one card, probably due to both
cards sharing the same address space.

Intrigued by these disparate reports on one and the
same driver module, I was looking for a method to pass
parameters to 3c509 using insmod and thereby hopefully
activating both cards. So far in vain, though.

   Regards
           Mats