Fellow Bering-users,

encouraged by an answer from Cédric Schieli, I went
ahead to bye myself two Ralink wireless cards CWP-854.
Unfortunately, they turned out not to react to the
driver rt2500.o present with Bering-uC 3.0, and this
was due to the fact that Ralink has as of late changed
the chip set in their economically priced cards. The
new driver module is named rt61.

Well, I fetched the source code for rt61 at

   http://www.ralink.com.tw/supp-1.htm

and installed the buildtool for Bering-uClibc that so
benevolently is available to us all. After a little
hacking at the makefile for rt61 I managed, to my
surprise, compile the module at the first try.
(The test compilation for my Debian on a laptop
was elementary.) Then Bering nicely rewarded a simple
'insmod rt61' by creating the desired interface ra0.

Now, I must confess to being essentially illitterate
in matters concerning wireless cards, so I hope
someone could take the effort upon him to give me some
pointers into documents and procedures for testing and

verifying wireless components, from the software
point of view. Of course, I would not object to
someone else building this driver for us all. I only
hope that that person would share his testing
procedures with us; for my own edification at least!

The source code rt61-sta-1.1.0.0 was released
Nov. 22., so Bering would be one of the first
distributions to have it going if we do take a go
at it. This source code for rt61 also includes code
for wpa_supplicant support.

Let me finally point out that Ralink has code release
1.4.6.6 for rt2500, dated Oct. 12th, which is a good
deal more recent than version 1.1.0-beta4 that goes
with rt2500 of Bering-uClibc. Anyone feeling inspired?

  Regards
           Mats E Andersson