Dear Aneesh,

please keep the discussion on the list - that way, others can help too.

> When I run hostapd, I get an invalid argument error and it says it can't
> connect to kernel driver.
Well, that might be the source of your problem - it would be interesting
to know what exactly hostapd was trying to set when it gave that error.

One thing to try would be to set

logger_stdout=-1

logger_stdout_level=0
debug=4

and restart hostapd - maybe the messages in /var/log/daemon.log or
/var/log/debug will give a clue what's going wrong.

> When I tried connect from an external laptop
> despite this, the laptop showed me the access point, but couldn't establish
> a connection with the access point inspite of giving in the correct WPA
> key.
Well, try to keep things simple without running into driver related
issues, try providing a wpa_psk instead of wpa_passphrase. Something
like this:
#wpa_passphrase= (123456ABCDEF+*)
wpa_psk=80E62021431B2213FC7073EB09B53C88FA2EA73F4F3E4F5088651C2FF207FFD6
- see https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm for generating your own hex key.
Of course, you also have to enter that key on your laptop before
connecting to the AP.

It might also be helpful to post the relevant output from dmesg - you
should get something similar to this:
<6>ath_hal: 0.9.17.2 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112, RF2413,
RF5413)
<6>wlan: 0.8.4.2 (0.9.2.1)
<6>ath_rate_sample: 1.2 (0.9.2.1)
<6>ath_pci: 0.9.4.5 (0.9.2.1)
<4>wifi0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
<4>wifi0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps
18Mbps 24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
<4>wifi0: H/W encryption support: WEP AES AES_CCM TKIP
<4>wifi0: mac 5.6 phy 4.1 radio 1.7
<4>wifi0: Use hw queue 1 for WME_AC_BE traffic
<4>wifi0: Use hw queue 0 for WME_AC_BK traffic
<4>wifi0: Use hw queue 2 for WME_AC_VI traffic
<4>wifi0: Use hw queue 3 for WME_AC_VO traffic
<4>wifi0: Use hw queue 8 for CAB traffic
<4>wifi0: Use hw queue 9 for beacons
<6>wifi0: Atheros 5212: mem=0xa0010000, irq=11
<6>wlan: mac acl policy registered

> interface=ath0
> driver=madwifi
> logger_syslog=-1
> logger_syslog_level=1
> logger_stdout=-1
> logger_stdout_level=2
> debug=0
> ssid=test1
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
> hw_mode=g
> macaddr_acl=0
> auth_algs=3
> ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
> wpa=3
> wpa_passphrase= (123456ABCDEF+*)
> wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
> wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP
> eap_server=0
> eapol_key_index_workaround=0
Looks ok to me (that config starts without errors on my box).
It might be interesting to see how the device is declared in
/etc/network/interfaces
And the sake of completeness, please also tell us the output of
lsmod |grep ath

> However I still get the same error messages. What could be the problem
> here?
I have no idea

Martin