Adam Niedzwiedzki wrote:
> Yeah that's what I thought, very weird....
>
> nas# dd if=/dev/sdb1 of=/dev/null bs=512 count=256
> 256+0 records in
> 256+0 records out
>
> nas# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb1 bs=512 count=256
> 256+0 records in
> 256+0 records out
>
> As for trying a statically built version of mount, that's a bit out of my
> league.. I wouldn't know where/how to do that :(
>
> I'm only a semi-beginner with this stuff.

One more wacky suggestion.  Double and triple check the device files in
/dev, making sure the sdb* entries in particular look correct.  Check
for the device type, major/minor device numbers, permissions, etc.  You
might also try making another device file for /dev/sdb1 somewhere other
than /dev/, for instance:

  mknod /root/mytestdev  b 8 16
  mknod /root/mytestdev1 b 8 17

...which correspond to /dev/sdb and /dev/sdb1, respectively.

Then try:

  mount -t ext3 /root/mytestdev1 /mnt

It's a long shot, but the problem could be something with your device
files, rather than with the mount command...

One more wacky idea:  Call busybox directly, bypassing whatever symlinks
you have setup.  Typically something like the following, but I don't
have a bering system on-line for testing, so paths may be wrong:

  /bin/busybox mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /mnt

And the final grasping at straws idea before I go to bed:  You *DO* have
the ext3 file-system driver loaded into the kernel, right?  I don't
think this is required for formatting, but *IS* required for mounting
the partition (obviously).  Bering doesn't include the ext3 filesystem
compiled into the kernel, unlike most 'mainstream' (ie: HDD based)
distributions.  Check the installed filesystems using:

  cat /proc/filesystems

...sometimes the busybox error messages are less than intuitive,
particularly for code paths that don't see a lot of use, so your "No
such device" message could really mean "Couldn't mount because of some
error", with no such device simply being the most common case.

- --
Charles Steinkuehler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]