On Monday 31 December 2007 11:05:43 Jim Ford wrote:
> Simon Bolduc wrote:
> > Alternatively you could have a cron job to ping a remote host or
> > something.  I'm not sure how often NTP will update the time, using a
> > cron job to ping or update the time once every 4 hours or so should do
> > the trick.
>
> You mean that someone has actually got openntpd to work reliably?
>
> I've got openntpd installed, but every time I look at its status it's
> stopped! If I start it, it appears to start OK but when I look later
> it's stopped again.
>
> A trawl through the web reveals that this is not uncommon - and not only
> on Leaf. I've tried the various recommended fixes with no success.

Jim;

openntpd in beta1 failed on machines which are disconnected from the Internet
by the ISP or telco companies once a day, which happens often on consumer
ADSL accounts. This bug has been fixed in beta2 - but as davidMbrooke wrote a
few days ago a wrong setting in /etc/default/openntpd slipped into beta2,
which stops openntpd at startup. (replacing start optione "-d" with "-s"
solves the issue).

Now I do have a stable and reliable openntpd.

kp