Hello,

I don't think it's overkill and would probably start off with a quad
processor for 24 gigabit ports. But I honestly don't know which apps can
take advantage of the multiple processors and how the kernel uses smp for
networking/routing, etc.

There are other things besides ipsec and routing to consider: deep packet
inspection. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_packet_inspection and
http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1817.

Also, squid can use reg_ex pattern matching to block sites for example.
For an acl I accidentally used url_regex instead of dstdomain for a spam
blacklist 6.3 MB and simple pages would lock up my processor at 100%
utilization for a few seconds at a time. It felt like I was on dialup
instead of a T1. I'm using a Via C3 1 GHz. Even if you won't have a large
reg_ex blacklist, using dstdomain (normal index lookups) it takes squid
about two minutes just to load/index a 6 MB file on my systems.

The Via C3 @ 1 GHz are about as fast as a Celeron 500 MHz in the real
world, maybe slower. For IPsec without the via padlock hardware encryption
driver these 1 GHz C3's can only manage about 10 Mbps using AES 128. With
the padlock driver they should be able to do 100 Mbps easily. Sadly the
fastest I ever managed using openswan and padlock was about 38-43 Mbps.
Either the driver was not well optimized or openswan has too much
overhead.

Besides that, imagine being able to run a counter-strike server directly
on your router. :)

-cpu