Hello Matt Cartter,

your problem is due to the fact that Openntpd
is using /etc/resolv.conf, which in the default
setting is pointing to the interior address
192.168.1.254. Unfortunately, Dnsmasq is in its
default setting (of Bering) not propagating the
external nameserver from /etc/dhcp/resolv.conf,
so Openntpd has no access to any external time
server, and thus produces those error messages.
The simplest remedy is to activate name resolution:

resolv-file=/etc/dhcpc/resolv.conf

in  /etc/dnsmasq.conf. Then Openntpd will be
operational from boot time. I have suggested this
default value to KP Kirchdörfer. We will have to
wait and see whether it does get implemented.

Regards

Mats Erik Andersson