Hi, I'm testing with BuC 3.1, having downloaded the USB image and dd'd
it onto a 256MB USB stick. (Mobo is a very new ASUS Wolfdale.)

However the bootup would not complete - none of the .LRP files get found
("nf!") and finally I get the msg:
    /linuxrc: source: line 277: can't open var/lib/lrpkg/root.dev.own
    Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

I was able to fix this (i.e. able to get to the 'login:' prompt) by
adding some modules to the initrd.lrp package.

The two missing USB-support modules that I think are key here are:
    ehci-hcd.o
    usb-ohci.o

(though only one would presumably be needed for me I suggest that both
be placed into the standard USB image so that all USB implementations
are supported 'off the shelf').

Also, I noticed something of a problem if the (existing USB driver)
usb-uhci was not the last item in the /boot/etc/modules file, so I'd
recommend that the following 3 entries be the last ones in the
/boot/etc/modules file for the USB bootable image (unless there's some
good reason not to):
    ehci-hcd
    usb-ohci
    usb-uhci